As an amateur or professional woodworker, if you would need to carry out projects that require different shapes, design groves etc. then you are definitely going to need a wood router. With a perfect router for woodworking, you can effectively work with ease. On a normal ground, there are two different types of router, that could be used for wood working It includes a fixed base and a plunge router. The plunge router is known to be way more advanced compared to the fixed one. But both are capable of carrying out the basic job of a router.
Although the fixed base has quite a number of limitations since its stationary is based. It should be note that the depth of the fixed base has to be set before you start working But a plunge based router depth can be changed even while the router is still running. As a beginner in wood working, a fixed router is the best option. However, professional woodworker prefer the plunge router because of the effectiveness it offers. Since the Plunge is more advanced, and it is more expensive than the fixed based.
When you’ve decided whether you want a fixed router or a plunge based router, its high time you considered other salient factors which includes speed, motor power, collet diameter etc. this piece will enlighten you with the right knowledge on how to choose the best router for your woodworking.
6 SALIENT THING TO KNOW ABOUT ROUTER FOR WOODWORKING.
- Horsepower; the routers for woodworking should have a rating of about 2 HP or higher. The more the power of the better the capability of the router.
- Variable speed: On a normal ground, you should go for a speed router, the ones with single speed are very awesome when working in small quantity.
- Collet diameter: Routers originally can make use of ¼ inches or ½ inches of diameter bits. Be sure to buy the one that accepts both inches without any problems.
- Comfortable Grips: The router you make use of must have a comfortable grip it would allow you to work longer than normal.
- Dust control: if peradventure you can purchase a router that has a dust control system, then it would be better. Lots of dust is emitted while working. As such with a perfect dust collection system, this would make your work easier.
- Power switch: When selecting a router, the power switch should be comfortably and conveniently. The power switch is meant to be located within a location that can be easily reached by the thumb. Although this may seem insignificant but it is a salient factor that needs to be considered.
The above are some of the most important factors that you should consider before deciding to buy a router for wood working. As for beginners, they can start with a fixed based router with a 2 HP. When a beginner is well experienced, you then can begin to use a plunge base router. In addition, it is quite important to adhere to all safety instructions.